Tuesday 17 April 2012

Homs 1281, a mega-battle

Hi folks. Yesterday evening I was at the club, not knowing what I could play. As soon as I arrived, Gordon asked me if I could join them in a refight of the battle of Oms, in 1281, between the Mongols (and allies) and the Mamluks. More info there. I gladly joined them, and took charge of the Mongols'right, full of Seljuk, Armenian and Georgian allies... Yup, it's a mess to command, but I had some good troops. Facing me, Tamsin had some mounted units and volunteers. My units were slightly better than hers. I managed to break through her lines, but some of their troops were flanking me, so I'd say we were even, though I had an advantage, with a second line coming up. Meanwhile, the Mongols' left flank and center had to manage against some lancers (not good), and so they were starting to break. We called it after three hours, with what could be considered as a marginal Mamluk victory, with historical results. Thanks Gordon for the game. Now time for the pics:



Hier soir, j'etais donc au club, ne sachant pas encore a quoi j'allais jouer. Gordon me propose de se joindre a la partie de FOG qui allait demarrer, proposant de rejouer la bataille d'Oms de 1281, entre Mongols et Mamelouk. J'ai bien sur accepte et j'ai pris en charge le flanc droit des Mongols, bourre d'allies armeniens, georgiens et turcs... Bonjour le bordel. Face a moi, Tamsin et l'aile la plus faible des Mamelouk... Bref, j'ai reussi a enfoncer sa ligne, mais elle avait commence a me deborder sur l'extreme flanc, Au centre et sur notre flanc gauche, les choses etaient moins roses, avec nos pauvres gars a cheval devant affronter des lanciers a cheval. Aie. Bref, apres 3h de jeu, nous avons conclu sur une victoire marginale des Mamelouks, avec des resultats historiques concernant le comportement des troupes. bravo Gordon pour cette belle partie.

12 comments:

  1. Looked like a great game but beer and people in suits and ties, how the other half games!

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Seb - great pics. Your second line was part of the centre though wasn't it?

    @Fran - we're in central London and most of them come straight from work, which explains the suits and ties on some of them. And we meet in a pub, which explains the beers! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well Tamsin answered before I did. And no, my second line was in fact between the center and the right flank, so technically, it really was my second line :P

      Delete
  3. Impressionnant ! Vous avez joué en combien de points ?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. De memoire, il devait y avoir environ 700-800 points par joueur, et nous etions 6 ;)
      Franchement, voir de telles tables donne toujours envie de jouer.

      Alors, voyons les listes mongoles et mameluk maintenant

      Delete
  4. Looks like a great mashup! What a nice way to cap a day of work, eh? What system were you using?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We played with FOG. A bit complicated to my taste, but still, when you play a multiplayer game, everything is fun

      Delete
  5. Some very nice pics Seb and I pressed pause too!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "pause" Ermm, thanks for reminding me this, Ray ;P

      Delete
  6. Très chouette, ça donne envie, et c'est une période très sympa.

    ReplyDelete
  7. All your hard work is much appreciated. Nobody can stop to admire you. Lots of appreciation. viking axe

    ReplyDelete